Direct selling is a distribution channel for goods where customers buy products directly from the company. Direct selling can be done through in-home parties, door-to-door sales, home shopping networks, and online at the company’s website. The Indian direct selling industry is valued at Rs. 10,000 crores and is growing at a rate of 15% year on year.
Top 10 Indian Direct Selling Companies are:
- Amway India Ltd.
- Avon India Ltd.
- Oriflame India Ltd.
- Tupperware India Pvt Ltd.
- Nu Skin International (P) Limited.
- Mi Lifestyle Marketing Global Pvt. Ltd.
- P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited.
- Asclepius Wellness Private Limited
- Herbalife International of America Inc.
Direct selling companies are growing in India because of the rise of the middle class. The middle class is looking for new ways to make money and they are turning to direct selling companies. They are also growing because India is a country with a lot of potential.
The Indian Direct Selling Association estimates that there are more than 400 direct-selling companies in India, which is more than double the number of just five years ago.
What is Direct Selling Company and How It Works?
Direct selling is a marketing strategy where the company sells its products or services directly to customers. The company does not rely on a middleman like wholesalers or retailers to distribute its products.
Here are the 5 best advantages of direct selling company:
1) Direct sellers can sell products at a higher price than wholesalers or retailers can because they don’t have to share their profits with a middleman.
2) You can make money without having to pay for advertising or marketing campaigns because you’re in direct contact with your customers and prospects.
3) Direct selling is not limited by geography.
4) Direct selling is a less risky business than other types of retailing, as it has low capital requirements, low overhead costs, and no inventory risk.
5) You can build your own team and work from home or anywhere you want.
A direct selling company usually has an independent sales force of people who are incentivized by rewards such as commissions and bonuses. These salespeople are in charge of marketing and selling the products or services of the company.
Top 10 Indian Direct Selling Company 2022
1. Amway India Ltd.
Amway India Limited is a privately held company that was set up in 1959. The company is the largest direct selling company in the world and has operations in over 100 countries across the globe.
Amway India Ltd is a subsidiary of Amway Corporation. It is an Indian company which manufactures and distributes consumer goods, personal care, home care, and beauty products.
- Amway India Ltd. has a long history of over 50 years in the Indian market.
- The company is the largest direct selling enterprise in India.
- It has more than 3 million active distributors globally and 400000 in India.
- Amway India Ltd. has been ranked among the top five most trusted brands in India for 5 consecutive years by The Brand Trust Report
- It was ranked No. 1 on Forbes’ list in 2017 of “Asia’s Best Under A Billion”
Amway is an independent company with its headquarters in Ada, Michigan, USA. In 2021, the total sales of Amway India Ltd. was $8.9 billion.
The top most selling products of Amway India are: Nutrilite, Artistry, Amway’s Personal Care Products, Amway’s Home Care Products and the Artistry Eye Shadow Palettes.
*Total Revenue of Amway India Ltd. in 2021 was 500 Crores+
2. Avon India Ltd.
Avon India Ltd. is a global direct selling company that offers beauty and related products through its network of sales representatives. It was founded in 1985.
It sells its products through a network of independent sales representatives. It has become the world’s leading direct seller of beauty and related products. Avon’s product categories include cosmetics, fragrance, personal care, fashion and home products.
- Avon is the world’s largest direct seller of beauty and related products with over INR 100-500 Cr. billion in annual revenue.
- Avon India Ltd has been one of the fastest growing companies in India for the last decade.
- The company has a network of more than 600,000+ independent sales representatives who sell their products to consumers in more than 100 countries around the world.
- The company has been ranked as one of Fortune’s “Most Admired Companies” for five consecutive years.
- 92% of total sales representative of Avon India are women.
Avon has been ranked #1 on Forbes list of Most Innovative Companies for 2016. The company sells its products through a network of sales representatives, called Avon Ladies.
*The revenue of Avon India Ltd. in year 2021 was decreased by 47%.
Vestige India is an Indian company that manufactures and exports a wide range of quality products like toiletries, home care products, beauty and wellness products.
Vestige India was founded in the year 2004 by two young entrepreneurs who had a clear vision to manufacture high-quality personal care products for the Indian market. They started with one product and gradually grew their portfolio to over 20 product lines. Vestige has created a niche for themselves in the personal care market by focusing on high-quality products that are made from premium ingredients sourced from across the globe.
- Vestige India is ISO 9001:2015 certified which means that they have met global quality standards set by International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
- In 2017, the company had an annual turnover of Rs. 1 billion.
- It was originally designed as a dietary supplement but it’s now used as an ingredient in many other products like toothpaste, lotions, etc.
- Vestige has been ranked 30 in Global 100 list of the top direct selling companies in 2020 in the world by Direct Selling News.
- Vestige has a motto of spreading wealth through wellness.
Vestige India is a world class health and wellness product that has been in the industry for over 40 years. The company specializes in the manufacturing and distribution of Ayurvedic herbal medicines, natural food supplements, cosmetics, toiletries and other related products.
It has always been on the forefront of innovation with their research team constantly developing new products that are scientifically tested to ensure they are safe and effective. The company is dedicated to providing high-quality products that are made with natural ingredients.
* Total revenue of Vestige in year 2021 was approximately INR 500 Cr.
4. Oriflame India Ltd.
The Oriflame India Ltd. is a Swedish-based company that manufactures and markets cosmetics and personal care products to consumers in more than 100 countries worldwide. The company was founded in 1967 by Jonas and Robert af Jochnick.
As of 2018, the company has more than 11,000+ employees worldwide and operates through a network of subsidiaries and affiliates spanning five continents.
- Oriflame India Ltd was the first company to introduce an anti-ageing cream in India.
- It is the only company in India that produces its own fragrances.
- According to the company, it has a global network of over one million independent sales consultants.
- The company sells over 300 brands and over 2,000 products globally.
- Oriflame is the one of the world’s largest direct seller of cosmetics and beauty products.
Oriflame India Ltd became the first foreign-owned cosmetics company to be granted permission to open a manufacturing plant in India when it acquired Hindustan Unilever’s factory in Kolkata.
* In 2021, total operating revenue range of Oriflame India Ltd. is INR 500 Cr.
5. Tupperware India Pvt Ltd.
Tupperware India Pvt Ltd is an Indian subsidiary of the Tupperware Brands Corporation, a US-based company. It has been in operation for more than two decades now.
The company’s main product line is Tupperware, which is a brand name for food storage containers, lunch boxes and other kitchen products.
- Tupperware India Pvt Ltd is one of the leading brands in home and kitchen care. They have a wide range of products for all kinds of consumers.
- Tupperware India Pvt Ltd sells its products through direct sales force in India and also exports to many countries around the world.
- It has over 200 Tupperware Consultants who are independent contractors engaged with the company to sell its products and services.
- The company has more than 300 exclusive showrooms across India where customers can purchase its products.
- It also operates a website which can be accessed by people who cannot find any of their showrooms nearby or who want to buy their products online.
The company sell their products through direct selling, door-to-door selling, home parties, and online shopping platforms.
Tupperware India Pvt Ltd is a household name when it comes to home and kitchen care products. They have a wide range of products for all kinds of consumers, catering to their needs.
6. Nu Skin International (P) Limited
Nu Skin International (P) Limited is a company that develops, manufactures, and sells skin care and anti-aging products. The company was founded in 1984 by scientists who developed a new technology to manufacture active ingredients.
In the past 30 years, Nu Skin has grown to become one of the most recognized direct selling companies in the world. Today it operates in more than 50 markets around the world with a network of independent distributors who are passionate about their business and product line.
- Nu Skin is the largest direct seller of cosmetics in the world with over 2 million independent distributors around the world
- They have more than 30 brands in their portfolio including Pharmanex, Nu Skin Enterprises and Tru Face
- The company has been accused of being a pyramid scheme but they have denied these claims
- Nu Skin was ranked as the 25th most trusted company on Fortune’s 2017 list of “World’s Most Admired Companies”
- In 2018, they were ranked as the 18th best place to work for millennials.
Nu Skin’s success is largely due to its commitment to quality, innovation, and value – which are embodied by its Nu Skin Promise: We believe you will be delighted with your results or we will make it right for you; We believe what we sell should be as good or better than what you can find at your local store; We promise that we will never stop working to offer you new ways to look and feel better from the inside out.
* Total revenue of Nu Skin International (P) Limited in 2021 was $2.7 billion.
7. Forever Living Products
Forever Living Products is a company that sells nutritional supplements, beauty products, and skin care products. It has been in business for over 40 years. It is a US based company founded in year 1978.
The company sells its products through independent distributors who are not employees of the company but are considered independent contractors. Forever Living Products has distributors in more than 160 countries around the world with more than 9.5 million distributors globally.
- Forever Living Products is the world’s largest producer of aloe vera juice.
- The company has been criticized for its use of botanical names, which are not recognized by the American Herbal Products Association, the European Herbal Medicinal Products Committee, or the World Health Organization.
- The company sells its products through independent distributors who recruit other distributors to expand their downlines.
- The company made a public stock offering in 2005 but was delisted from Nasdaq after it failed to meet listing standards.
Forever Living Products is a multi-level marketing company. This means that they have affiliates who sell their products to customers and earn commission from their sales. The company also sells products through their own website, retail stores, and other third party vendors.
8. P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited
P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited is an Indian company that manufactures and sells personal care products. They are headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited was founded in 1964.
The company has a wide range of products for different age groups. Their product lines include baby care, feminine care, oral care, skin and hair care products, personal hygiene products such as deodorants and soaps, homecare products such as laundry detergents and dishwashing liquids.
- P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited is the market leader in the Indian market for personal care products, home care products, fabric conditioners and dishwashing liquids.
- The company has been ranked as the third most valuable brand of India by Brand Finance’s 2017 report.
- The company’s portfolio includes brands like Ariel, Surf Excel, Tide, Tide To Go Instant Stain Remover Pens, Omo Color Fresh Detergent Powder & Tablets.
- One of its popular brands- Ariel has been around for over 50 years now.
P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited has been recognized for their contribution to the society by receiving the National Award for the Best Corporate Citizen in India from the Ministry of Corporate Affairs for two consecutive years in 2017-2018.
* Total revenue of P&G Hygiene and Home Care (India) Private Limited in year 2021 was RS. 117.68 cr.
9. Asclepius Wellness Private Limited
Asclepius Wellness Private Limited is a company that provides healthcare services. They are headquartered in Bangalore and have been operating for over 25 years.
Asclepius Wellness Private Limited offers a range of services including:
– General Medicine
– General Surgery
– Eye Care Services
– Skin & VD Clinic
– Cancer Treatment Center.
10. Herbalife International of America Inc.
Herbalife International of America Inc (NYSE:HLF) is a multi-level marketing company that sells weight-management, nutrition, and personal care products. It offers various nutritional supplements, weight management shakes and bars, skin care products and other items.
The company’s product line includes protein shakes; meal replacement bars; vitamins and minerals; energy drinks; skincare products such as soaps and lotions; men’s grooming products such as shampoos and conditioners; women’s beauty products such as hair care items like shampoo or conditioner, lipsticks or lip glosses.
- It is the world’s one of the largest nutrition and weight management company.
- Herbalife products are sold worldwide through a network of independent distributors.
- Herbalife is the most recognized global nutrition brand in China and has been operating in China for over 20 years.
The company was founded in 1980 by Mark Hughes in Los Angeles California with an initial investment of $600. It was originally named Herbalife Ltd., but changed its name to Herbalife International of America Inc in 2002.
So, these are top Indian direct selling company. Besides this, there are other many direct selling companies in India like Modicare, Atomy India etc.
Read Our Other Articles:
Top 10 Agriculture Software & Technology Companies
Top 10 Technology Business Ideas For 2022
The Best Practices of Social Media Marketing for Small Businesses